Sunday, April 11, 2010

Finally I got my dream job

In December 2008 when I made up my mind to pursue a post-MBA career in Cleantech venture investment, I turned down a job offer from a Fortune 100 company’s global leadership program. Instead I hoped that I would secure a venture job by graduation in May 2009. But due to the economic condition (duh....), venture recruiting was much tougher than it was in the previous year. No venture firm in the Cleantech space was hiring any post-MBA associate. The entire experience ended up taking 16 months, during which I had:

• 200+ networking meetings and phone calls (I really lost count after a while),
• Connection with 100+ venture capitalists,
• 4 trips from the east coast to the San Francisco Bay Area in Spring 2009 before I moved here anyway,
• Full interviews with partners at 4 venture firms which all seemed to like me but eventually didn’t hire me or anybody else due to hiring freeze,
• 2 consecutive paid gigs with top-tier venture firms, and
• 1 job offer at last for a longer-term (whatever it means) position from my dream venture firm in the Cleantech space.

I must admit it was a lot of work.... I'm soooooo ready for a break before the start of my new job.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

bravo!!!200+.....u deserve the incredible opportunity thanks to your own continuous effort